Two Scottish councils were fined after an incident in which a child was found at the bottom of a local swimming pool.
The 11-year-old school boy visited Stonehaven Open Air Pool as part of an educational visit, during which time he became submerged under the water and was recovered unconscious from the bottom of the pool by a member of the public. CPR was successfully administered by lifeguards and the pupil has since made a full recovery.
The subsequent Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation found issues with staffing levels and lifeguard positioning at the pool, and the effective management of educational excursions at the school. Both Aberdeen City Council and Aberdeenshire Council pleaded guilty to breaching Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.
Aberdeen City Council was fined £9,000 while Aberdeenshire Council was fined £4,000.
After the hearing, HM Inspector of Health and Safety Sarah Forbes said: “This specific incident was easily preventable however today’s proceedings should not deter those who organise or participate in such activities. Those organising educational excursions must consider foreseeable risks and take reasonable steps to reduce these. Managed properly, swimming pools provide a safe place for fun and exercise.”